12th Distance Education
12th distance education: Info, Eligibility, Fees, Admission & Top 5 Open Schools
10000 – 30000 INR Per Year
16 years of age with 10th grade from a recognized board
5+ Universities are Offering 12th Distance Education
Get In Touch
About 12th Distance Education
The 12th standard is the final year in higher secondary education, commonly known as 'Class 12' or 'Senior Secondary.' This year is a peak point, because it often shapes a student's future. It serves as the deciding factor for the career one aspires to pursue. It's essential to grasp the significance of the 12th standard because the performance and the marks you score in this year frequently determine the college you'll be admitted to. It's in this 12th standard that students face rigorous board examinations.
In India, the term "boards" refers to an organization that sets, administers, and evaluates examinations which includes two primary types: central and state boards that oversee and regulate education. Examples of Central boards include CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) and ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education), while various State boards, like Maharashtra HSC (Higher Secondary Certificate), manage education at the state level. Additionally, specific states may have distinct names for the 12th standard, such as "Plus Two" or “HSC” in certain areas.
Many individuals find it difficult to attend their 12th in a conventional setting due to a variety of reasons. For them, 12th-grade distance education becomes the preferred choice. This method enables students to fulfill their 12th-grade education without the need to attend traditional school regularly.
This form of education, particularly for the 12th grade, is commonly referred to as 'open schooling.' These open schooling programs have their distinct governing bodies known as 'open boards,' which are responsible for providing this form of education. Open schooling ensures that individuals facing challenges in a conventional setting can still access high-quality education. It caters to a diverse range of needs and circumstances, from students pursuing unique career goals to those juggling work and studies, as well as individuals with health concerns or those living in remote areas.
Much like regular schools are governed by Central and State governments, these open schooling boards are governed and operated in the same manner. The central board for open schools is the (NIOS) National Institute of Open Schooling , and various states have their own State Open School Boards like (BOSSE) Board of Open Schooling and Skill Education to manage this distinct form of education. This ensures the validity and acceptance of 12th distance education.
Is 12th distance education valid?
Open school boards are regulated and governed by either State or Central government boards. Like any educational program, validity of 12th distance education relies on the accreditation and acknowledgment of the institution providing the program.
Hence yes, 12th distance education is recognized and valid, as long as the open schooling board chosen by the student is governed by regulatory authorities by either Central or State government.
In India, the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) and various State-level open school boards (BOSSE, DSOS, BBOSE) receive recognition from either the Central or State Government of India which provide courses equivalent to those of traditional schools. These institutions cater to the diverse needs of students through distance mode, commonly referred to as open schooling.
One can verify the validity of these boards through the Council of Boards of School Education (COBSE), an organization that maintains a list of valid boards in the country. To check the list of valid boards in India one can go the website of COBSE https://www.cobse.in/new/
So, with this we can understand that:
- 12th distance education certificates from government open schooling boards are accepted in all schools and colleges.
- Companies view them as proof that you have the skills and determination.
- Both the central and state government support and approve these certificates.
Why 12th Distance Education?
Many people opt for distance education because it welcomes everyone, including those who face challenges in regular schools. This way, they can finish their 12th grade and move on to more educational or career pursuits. Here are the reasons why people choose to pursue their 12th in distance mode:
- Pursuing Higher Education Pursuing 12th through distance mode becomes important for individuals who couldn't follow the traditional education path for various reasons. It empowers them to establish a solid academic base and move towards their higher education objectives, making it possible to join colleges and universities later on.
- Homemakers Seeking Personal Growth Full-time parents, often balancing household responsibilities, find 12th-grade distance education to be a valuable opportunity to pursue their education without compromising their family duties. It empowers them to achieve personal growth and broaden their horizons.
- Progress in your Profession For those who aspire to climb the career ladder, a 12th-grade distance education can be a game-changer. It enhances qualifications and opens doors to better job opportunities, even to pursue higher education, this can lead to higher pay and professional growth.
- Switching Streams Sometimes, students realize their passion lies in a different field. 12th distance education enables them to change their educational path without starting from scratch, providing a smooth transition to their desired stream.
- Balancing Work and Study Individuals who need to work to support themselves or their families while pursuing education benefit from the flexibility of 12th distance education. It allows them to maintain their jobs while advancing their qualifications.
- Economical and Budget-friendly Pursuing 12th through distance mode often proves more cost-effective. It eliminates expenses related to commuting, on-campus facilities, and textbooks, making it a budget-friendly choice.
- Entrepreneurs Entrepreneurs juggling their business responsibilities can find 12th distance education to be the ideal solution as it offers a flexible schedule that aligns with their entrepreneurial pursuits, enabling them to balance both effectively.
Challenges in 12-distance education
When students study 12th distance education, typically through open schooling boards or institutions, they face several challenges. Here we highlighted some of the challenges below:
- Making adjustments between their work commitments and academic studies can be a challenging task for them.
- They often lack the time to organize their studies effectively.
- They often lack the necessary support to address their queries.
- Communication is limited because these programs are not conducted collectively.
- Students may face technical issues while accessing or understanding the online platform.
- Student may face a lack of motivation while studying for the program.
- Students may also find it difficult to search for the study materials.
How to overcome the challenges?
When students choose to opt education through distance mode, they must draw the strategies to address the issues or challenges faced by them. Here are some suggestions for overcoming the challenges:
- Student shall set clear and realistic goals
- Students can join online forums or study groups for having discussions regarding any topics or subject.
- Students can seek technical support to avoid the technical issues and shall avail strong internet connectivity.
- Students shall understand the high priority assignment to focus while adjusting with their other commitments.
- Students shall explore online or digital libraries, online education lectures, etc.
Students shall understand that this is a gradual process and they must have faith in themselves. They must find balance in education and other responsibilities which would be the key. Time management and maintaining a positive mindset will make their educational journey easier.
Eligibility for 12th Distance education
The criteria for eligibility for 12th distance education varies with the specific institution providing the program. Following is the general eligibility criteria for senior secondary program:
- The student shall have completed their 16 years of age.
- The student shall be qualified in their 10th grade from a recognized board.
- There must be a minimum 1 year gap after completing 10th standard.
Fees for 12th Distance Education
The fee structure for senior secondary programs is different from board to board,
institution to institution. So the student shall visit the official website or
the office to the specific board or institution to know the details of the fee
Here we’ll go with few boards’ fee structure
|For 5 subjects
|For an additional Subject
|SC/ST, Ex-Service Men / Handicapped
|Transfer Of Credit Fee
|INR 180/- per subject
|Sr. Secondary Course
|Rs. 1000/- (For Five Years)
|Programme Fees For 5 Subjects
|For each additional subject
|Practical Fee per subject (for Practical subjects)
|Examination Fee (Per Subject)
|Additional Fees For Practical exam
|Rs. 180/- per subject
|Transfer of Credit subject fees
|Rs. 1000/- per subject
|Part admission fees
|Rs. 2500/- per subject
There are many more institutions other than the one mentioned above. The student shall also note that the fee structure of the institutions are updated with the orders of the respective board or institution.
Examination block and duration
The examination pattern for senior secondary programs can differ according to the boards or institutions. These are conducted in blocks and the blocks are scheduled by the respective institution or board. Generally in India, the examination is conducted twice a year in blocks.
There are institutions like NIOS, offering four streams which include two blocks in April - May and another in October - November, option for transfer of credit and also On-demand examinations (ODE).
There are state boards having their own separate blocks unlike NIOS. Like for BOSSE, there are two blocks of examinations - April and another in October. The registration dates for enrolling in the examination are updated by the respective boards or institutions before the examination.
Syllabus for 12th Distance Education
The syllabus of the senior secondary program can vary in different boards or institutions. The syllabus of the program is based on the stream like Science, Commerce, and Arts, but open schooling facilitates the student to choose the subjects according to their choices or interest irrespective of the stream format.
- Languages and literature
- Social science
- Physical education
- Computer science or IT
- Practical subjects
- Elective subjects
Students can freely select subjects from the provided syllabus. They can choose any subjects of their interest or opt for particular kinds of subjects as per the syllabus, but considering their future academic and career goals is important.
Choosing core subjects is wise because many higher education institutes demand them for admission. It ensures a seamless transition if students later opt for traditional education.
The admission process can vary from different boards or institutions. Here is the general procedure for admission in the institution or board for the senior secondary program:
- Select an institution: Students must obtain the details of the institution or board and the program they are looking for. This can be done by visiting the official website or office of the institution or board or study center.
- Obtain application form: After making the decision of the board or institution selection, students must obtain the application form that can be taken from the official website or the office of the respective board or institution.
- Fill the application form: Students must go through the form and fill it out with accuracy. Also, attach the necessary documents to the application form.
- Submission of form: After filling out the application form and attaching the required documents, students must submit the form to the institution, which can be done online, by mail, or in person.
- Payment of fees: When the form is submitted to the institution, it verifies the form and the documents to check the candidate's eligibility. Later, the student shall proceed with the payment of the prescribed fees to the institution.
- Confirmation and enrollment: After completing the payment process, the institution gives confirmation about admission by providing a confirmation letter or enrollment number to the candidate.
To complete the compliance of the admission process, the students must attach the following required documents:
- Passport-size photo of the student
- Identity proof (Aadhaar Card)
- 10th-grade mark sheet
Distance education class 12 refers to the 12th-grade education program delivered remotely, allowing students to study and complete their secondary education from a distance, often through online or correspondence courses.
To complete your 12th-grade education at home, you can choose a distance education program through institutions like NIOS or state boards offering open schooling
To complete your 12th-grade education at home, you can choose a distance education program through institutions like NIOS or state boards offering open schooling.
In 12th-grade distance education, students have the opportunity to achieve their higher secondary education by enrolling in open school boards that provide courses equivalent to those found in traditional schools. Through this mode of learning, students gain access to course materials, submit assignments, and complete exams online. Moreover, they can actively engage with both instructors and fellow students via various online platforms.
: The eligibility criteria for 12th distance education is you should be at least 16 years old and 10th passout. Also , there should be a minimum one year gap between your 10th and 12th.
The Arts stream is sometimes considered one of the easy streams, offering numerous career options. Do understand that your interest in the subject greatly influences whether it feels easy or difficult.
Yes, students who successfully complete their 12th grade through open schooling are eligible to participate in competitive exams or entrance tests. These open schooling certificates hold recognition by numerous examination bodies. However, it's important to verify the particular eligibility criteria and requirements of the exam or institution you intend to apply to, as they might have specific guidelines tailored for open schooling candidates.
Yes, NEET allows open schooling board students as it is regulated and governed by either Central or State Boards.
Many universities and schools abroad recognize 12th open schooling certificates for higher education admission. However, it's important to research and confirm the specific requirements of your chosen universities or countries. Some institutions might have additional criteria, especially for international students or those from open schooling backgrounds.
Yes, 12th open schooling students can apply for government scholarships, subject to meeting the specific eligibility criteria of the scholarship program.
12th certificates from open schooling boards generally do not have a time limit on their validity. They remain recognized for an indefinite period.